Viruses, malware, ransomware, and phishing – the digital world is a dangerous one, making PC antivirus software a must for all computer owners. Choosing the right PC antivirus software is paramount. Here, we look at the four things you should know to help you to choose the right one for you.
1. You Need to Regularly Update the PC Antivirus Software
Antivirus software these days is very advanced. At one time it was all about matching the signatures of malicious files. Today, people in Albuquerque use the latest technology to ensure they carry out regular updates. Updates guarantee the PC antivirus software companies can respond to any new threats rapidly. When they send updates to a laptop or desktop computer, it’s vital to run them. Updates will guarantee the PC software stays up to date with all the latest fixes and features. If you don’t run those updates, your laptops and desktop computers becomes at risk and could fall victim to viruses or scams.
2. Multiple Layers of Protection PC Antivirus Software
Antivirus software uses multiple layers that protect a PC from threats. There are new threats devised continually. Old forms of malware also often resurface or reappear in a new way. Security technology layers combat all threats. Albuquerque PC users regularly think of antivirus software as being the primary defense against malware and viruses. Yet, these days, PC and laptop antivirus software is just the beginning. Lots of layers work in harmony to boost detection speed and to prevent malware from spreading.
These layers include:
- Firewall and intrusion prevention. Firewall network-level protection analyzes the incoming data, looking for evidence of any malicious traffic. Then, firewalls block any threats before they have a chance to infect the computer.
- File-based antivirus protection. File-based systems seek out, then eradicate malware in any system files to guard against multiple threats. Threats include adware, rootkits, bots, spyware, Trojans, worms, and, of course, viruses.
- Reputation-based protection. Reputation cloud-based solution correlates billions of linkages between websites, files, and users. Correlatating linkages allows the technology to detect threats that mutate rapidly.
- Behavior-based protection. Leveraging the AI can stop unknown and new threats. Behavior-based protection does this by monitoring file behaviors in real time.
- Repair protection. Sometimes, despite the best efforts of the software, a virus will get through and into the system. A repair tool can detect such infections and completely remove them.
3. Antivirus Protection Can Slow Your Computer
Although PC antivirus software is vital to protect your PC, the software can also slow your PC down. Luckily, the best software won’t compromise either safety or speed. At one time, you had to choose between operating speed or protection. Now, high-quality software from the best developers will offer optimal safeguarding and won’t slow your PC.
4. Antivirus Protection Doesn’t Just Protect from Viruses
As you can tell from its name, PC antivirus software protects your PC from viruses. It also protects against:
- Spyware and adware – These types of malware generate ads and track your behavior online.
- Phishing – Sometimes links that seem safe will take the user to a malicious site. Here, hackers can gather login credentials and personal data.
- Pharming – Pharming is similar to phishing. It redirects users from legitimate sites to malicious ones.
- Ransomware – If downloaded, ransomware can block access to programs and files until the user pays a fee.
The best PC antivirus software will protect your computer from all these potential threats. However, it may be difficult to know which software to get. Or, if your computer has already been infected, you may need to have it repaired first.
If your computer has been infected, or if you need help finding the right PC antivirus software, give us a call. As a top-rated Albuquerque repair shop, DML Computer Repair may be exactly what your computer needs!